Vegan Yule Log
Ready in: 30 to 60 mins
Recipe from the Easy Peasy Baking campaign, launched by nabim. Find more Easy Peasy Baking recipes at fabflour.co.uk/easy-peasy-bakes
Ingredients:200g caster sugar
265g plain flour
35g cocoa powder + 70g for the icing
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
100ml vegetable oil
200ml water + 5 tbsp for the icing
50ml lemon juice
180g vegan spread
700g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
1 bar dark chocolate for shavings
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (fan). In the large mixing bowl, combine the caster sugar, flour, bicarbonate of soda and 35g cocoa powder.
- Add in the vegetable oil, 100ml water and lemon juice, and mix with the whisk until no lumps remain. Pour the batter into the lined baking tray and spread evenly using the palette knife or back of a spoon before placing in the oven to bake for 10-15 minutes, rotating half-way through.
- While the sponge is baking, make the buttercream by combining the vegan spread, 700g icing sugar, 70g cocoa powder and 5 tablespoons of water in a large mixing bowl, whisking until smooth.
- Once the sponge is baked, allow to cool in the baking tray. Place a sheet of parchment over the top of the sponge, then place your large chopping board or cooling rack (upside down) on top of the parchment. Flip the whole thing over and remove the baking tray and the parchment from the base of the sponge.
- Take your buttercream and spread it evenly over the surface of the sponge, then using the parchment underneath to help, roll up the sponge from one shorter edge to the other.
- Place your rolled-up sponge on your chosen serving platter then use the remaining buttercream to cover the outside in a rustic fashion, either with a palette knife or the back of a spoon.
- Hold the bar of dark chocolate above the yule log and run the peeler backwards and forwards along the edge to create chocolate shavings, guiding them to fall evenly over the top of the log. Dust with icing sugar and serve.