VEGAN MUSHROOM AND LEEK PIE
Know your nutrients
Powered by Nutracheck
Creamy mushrooms and leeks encased in a crispy, golden pie crust. Delicious, filling and a great choice to serve to both vegans and non-vegans! Recipe taken from Aimee Ryan for Wallflower Kitchen. Copyright: The Vegan Society, 2018.
Ingredients:1 tbsp olive oil
2 medium leeks, trimmed and sliced into discs
3 garlic cloves, minced
500g button mushrooms
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
a pinch of salt and pepper FOR THE SAUCE:
1 tbsp dairy-free butter
2 tbsp plain flour
350ml dairy-free milk
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
a pinch of salt and pepper
1 roll vegan puff pastry (or gluten-free, if needed)
4 tbsp dairy-free milk, for glazing
- Add the olive oil to a large saucepan on a medium heat. Fry the leeks and garlic for two minutes, to soften.
- Add the mushrooms, herbs, salt and pepper and stir for a minute. Place the lid on top and cook for eight minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the dairy-free butter on medium heat. Add the flour and stir until combined. Slowly add in the milk, a tablespoon at a time and whisk, until you have a smooth thick mixture. Stir in the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the cooked leeks and mushrooms with the sauce and leave to cool completely.
- Make sure your puff pastry is at room temperature (if using frozen, leave at room temperature overnight) and preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. 6
- Add the leek and mushroom mixture to a pie dish and top with the puff pastry, cutting off any excess pastry around the edges.
- Crimp the edges using a fork and score a criss-cross pattern on the top with a sharp knife. Finally, dip a pastry brush in a little dairy-free milk and brush the top of the pie, to help it brown.
- Cook for 25 minutes until golden brown. Serve straight away.