Vegan Creamy Lemon And Basil Pasta
Ready in: 15 to 30 mins
Creamy and indulgent, this vegan pasta is deceptively light, using plant milk, mustard, nutritional yeast and Cream Cheese flavouring to obtain a creamy, cheesy taste. The lemon and basil add a fresh twist to the dish, which works well for lunch or dinner. Recipe and image courtesy of The Cook & Him
Ingredients:1 onion (red or white), peeled and finely diced
4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
drizzle of preferred oil (I use extra virgin olive oil)
250g chestnut mushrooms, thickly sliced
400g silken tofu
finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
½-1 tsp English mustard
120ml plant milk –(I use oat milk)
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
30 drops Foodie Flavours Cream Cheese
1 tsp salt and a few good grinds of black pepper
⅓ cup (approx 25 leaves) fresh basil, shredded into thin strips
cooked pasta, to serve (I use vegan spaghetti)
- Put the diced onion and crushed garlic into a small frying pan with just a drizzle of oil and saute for 2-3 minutes over a gentle heat, until softened.
- Tip the onion and garlic into a blender or food processor bowl. Don’t wash the pan up yet!
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the pan and gently sauté until golden and caramelised.
- If you’re serving this with pasta, you can cook this in a large pan of boiling salted water while the mushrooms are cooking.
- While that’s all cooking, add the tofu, lemon zest and juice, mustard, milk, nutritional yeast, Cream Cheese flavouring and salt and pepper to the onion and garlic. Whizz until smooth and creamy.
- When the mushrooms are cooked, tip in the sauce to heat through then stir in the shredded basil. Add to the cooked, drained pasta and stir to coat. Serve immediately.