Spelt & Halloumi Stuffed Peppers
Ready in: 60 mins +
These stuffed peppers are so easy to prepare, and make a fantastic starter or main meal for entertaining guests. The spelt and halloumi stuffing is delicious – however, you can easily replace these with cooked pearl barley, couscous or rice, and feta. Vegetarian Slow Cooker: Over 70 delicious recipes for stress-free meals by Libby Silbermann is published by Hamlyn, £12.99
Ingredients:150g pearled spelt, rinsed
4 large peppers
100g halloumi cheese, finely chopped
100g cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
3 spring onions, finely chopped
small handful of mixed fresh herbs, such as parsley, mint, coriander or dill, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing and drizzling
1 tbsp tomato purée
salt and pepper
- Put the spelt into a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or according to the packet instructions, until tender. Drain and leave to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, prepare the peppers. Using a knife, level off the bottom of each pepper so it stands flat, making sure not to cut through the flesh. Cut off the tops so each has a lid, then scoop out the core and all the seeds.
- Mix together the cooked spelt and remaining ingredients in a bowl, then season with salt and pepper. Grease the bottom of the slow cooker pot with some oil.
- Stuff each pepper with the spelt mixture, pressing it down so the peppers are well filled, then top each with a lid. Place in the slow cooker so the peppers stand upright, then drizzle each with a little oil. Cover with the lid and cook on high for two hours, until cooked through and tender.
- Serve warm with herbed potatoes and sautéed green vegetables. Alternatively, leave to cool and serve cold with a fresh green salad.