Riverford Roasted Pumpkin Salad
Ready in: 60 mins +
Served with pumpkin seed dukka, sumac red onions, Wootton White, pistachio & pomegranate, this dish has a real Middle Eastern feel to it. Wootton white is an English Greek-style sheep’s cheese and can be substituted with feta.
Ingredients:400g pumpkin, butternut or onion squash, cut into chunks
150g pumpkin seeds, toasted
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp coriander seeds, toasted & roughly crushed
½ tsp cayenne seeds
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 red onion
splash of red wine vinegar
1 tbsp sumac
pinch of sugar
150g bag salad leaves
150g Wootton white or feta cheese
handful of toasted pistachios
1 small pomegranate
60ml olive oil
- Heat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Toss the pumpkin with oil and salt and roast for about 30 minutes.
- While the pumpkin roasts, make the dukka. Using a pestle and mortar, grind the pumpkin and sesame seeds until broken up, then stir in the cumin, coriander, cayenne and smoked paprika. Set the mixture aside.
- Next, make the sumac onions. Slice the red onion as thinly as possible; a mandolin is best for this. Mix with the red wine vinegar, sumac, sugar and a pinch of salt and set aside for at least 30 minutes, stirring every so often.
- When the pumpkin is ready, toss with the dukka mix then cook for a further five minutes. Remove and leave to cool.
- Toss the salad leaves with the onions and olive oil, and arrange on plates with the pumpkin and dukka. Top with crumbled Wootton white, pomegranate seeds and pistachios.