Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup with Spiced Pumpkin Seeds
Know your nutrients
Powered by Nutracheck
This vibrant soup is jam-packed with goodness to keep you healthy throughout winter. The pumpkin seed topping adds a great source of plant-based protein, and also makes a delicious snack on its own. Recipe courtesy of Dr Michelle Braude, nutritionist and author of The Food Effect Diet and The Food Effect Diet Vegan, available through Instagram.
Ingredients:2 tbsp olive oil
1 large white onion, diced
2 green apples, peeled and chopped
1 tsp xylitol sugar alternative (available in stores as Total Sweet)
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp chilli powder
1 ½ tsp fine sea salt
2 kg butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and cut into cubes
8 cups vegetable stock (made from vegetable stock powder)
For the spiced pumpkin seeds:1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. chilli powder
Generous pinch of salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium heat. Add the chopped onion, apple, cinnamon, ginger, chilli powder and salt. Cook, whilst stirring occasionally, for around five minutes.
- Add the butternut squash to the pot, and stir to coat for another five minutes. Add the stock, bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, with the pot covered, for around 40-50 minutes, until the squash is soft.
- Allow the soup to cool, then blend in a blender or with a hand-held immersion blender until completely smooth.
- To make the spiced pumpkin seeds, combine the oil, cinnamon, chilli powder, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Add the pumpkin seeds and stir to coat.
- Heat a pan over a medium heat. Add the pumpkin seeds, and allow to toast in the pan, whilst stirring to ensure they don’t burn, for around 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool fully.
- Serve the soup heated, with a generous sprinkling of spiced pumpkin seeds on top.