POTATO, LEEK AND CALIFORNIA WALNUT GRATIN
Ingredients:2 tbsp butter
2 leeks, thinly sliced
4-5 medium russet (baking) potatoes
salt and pepper
150g grated vegetarian Gruyère-style cheese
240ml whipping cream or low-fat milk
235ml vegetable broth
25g breadcrumbs (optional)
115g California walnut pieces
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. In a medium-sized pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks and sauté them until tender; set aside.
- Peel and slice potatoes into 1/8-inch-thick rounds using a mandolin or chef knife.
- In an 8-inch baking dish, arrange a quarter of the potato slices in rows that slightly overlap until the bottom is covered. Season lightly with salt and pepper, sprinkle with a quarter of the sautéed leeks, 30g of the Gruyère-style cheese, and drizzle with 60ml of cream. Repeat layers three more times for a total of four layers.
- Pour the broth over the potatoes, cover the dish with foil and place it on a baking sheet to catch any liquid that may bubble out.
- Bake for one hour and 20 minutes, or until a knife pierces each layer without resistance.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining Gruyère-style cheese, breadcrumbs (optional) and California Walnuts, and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the dish from the oven, uncover it and top it evenly with the walnut mixture. Return to the oven for 15 minutes or until the walnuts are golden-brown.