Piccolo Buddha Bowl
Ready in: 30 to 60 mins
Piccolo cherry tomatoes are a pocket-sized, perfectly-balanced, juicier and crunchier variety of tomato. Beautiful little rich red piccolos are great for cooking in healthy dishes like this Buddha bowl. Here, fresh piccolos are used in a deconstructed ‘fajita’ Buddha bowl featuring ‘rice’ made from whizzed up cauliflower – health and delicious!
Ingredients:2 red onions
2 red peppers
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1x 400g tin black beans
2 tbsp cider vinegar
generous pinch of smoked paprika
1 red chilli, halved
lime juice, to taste
2 corn on the cobs, halved
1 cauliflower, chopped
1 heaped tsp cumin seeds
350g Piccolo cherry tomatoes
To serve:1 avocado, sliced
4 radishes, sliced
small handful of coriander leaves
chipotle paste (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Cut the red onion into wedges and slice the red pepper into quarters. Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 30 minutes.
- Heat some oil in a pan, add the garlic, and fry for a few minutes over a low heat. Drain the black beans, retaining a little of the water they came in. Add the beans to the pan with the cider vinegar and smoked paprika. Add the halved chilli to the pan.
- Cook the beans for about 15 minutes, adding a splash of the retained can water if they start to dry out. Add a splash of lime juice at the end of the cooking time.
- Meanwhile, cook the corn in a pan of boiling water for about five minutes, until slightly soft but not completely tender. Drain and dry the corn.
- Pulse the cauliflower in a food processor until it looks like grains. Dry-fry the cumin seeds in a non-stick frying pan, then remove from the pan. Add a dash of oil and the cauliflower, and fry until toasted. Add the cumin back to the pan. Keep warm.
- Heat a griddle pan and griddle the boiled corn on the cob halves until nicely charred. Set aside, then char the piccolo cherry tomatoes in the griddle pan.
- Serve the cauliflower in bowls, topped with the black beans. Arrange the red onions, red peppers, sliced avocado, radishes, coriander leaves, sweetcorn, lime wedges and piccolo cherry tomatoes on top. Serve with a dash of chipotle paste, if you like.