Moving Mountains Christmas Wellington
Ready in: 60 mins +
This meat-free Wellington is the ultimate Christmas centrepiece, and will be devoured by vegans and non-vegans alike! Serve with your favourite trimmings and vegan-friendly gravy.
Ingredients:1 packet of Moving Mountains® Mince
1 tbsp vegetable oil
½ white onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
5 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
200g carrots, peeled and finely diced
150g mushrooms, finely chopped
1 tbsp mustard
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 pack rolled vegan puff pastry, refrigerated until needed
For the vegan ‘egg wash’:1 tbsp water
1 tbsp orange marmalade or red currant jelly
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Warm up the oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and stir for two minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, carrot and mushrooms and stir for another three minutes.
- Lower the heat and add the mince, mustard and tomato purée. Stir again until all of the ingredients are well combined and the mince breaks apart easily. Season with salt and pepper and cook for a further five minutes, stirring occasionally. Take the pan off the heat and leave to cool slightly for about five minutes.
- Make the ‘egg wash’ by simply mixing the water and jelly together in a small bowl. Take the pastry sheet out of the packaging and put on a baking tray lined with baking parchment, so the longer side is facing you.
- Spread the mince filling over the middle-third of the pastry sheet from side to side. You should have the top and bottom-thirds left without any filling on them. Stretch the bottom-third over the filling and cover with the top-third of the pastry. You should end up having two layers of the pastry on the top of your Wellington and one layer on the bottom. Leave the sides open.
- Brush the pastry well with the sticky wash and score the top layer of the pastry using a sharp knife. Put the tray in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, until the pastry is cooked and golden brown. Slice the Wellington and serve with vegan gravy, roast potatoes and Brussel sprouts.