Meatless Christmas Curry
Ready in: 30 to 60 mins
Bored of nut roast? This vegan Christmas alternative, featuring homemade maple & soy-glazed meatballs in a sweet potato & ginger curry, will make a wonderful and unique centrepiece.
For the meatballs:1x pack Meatless Farm mince
1 tbsp tamarind
½ tsp garlic powder
40g vegetable oil
1 tbsp light soy sauce (use tamari to keep it gluten free)
For the curry:1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large white onion, diced
40g (thumb sized piece) fresh ginger, finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
50g fresh turmeric, peeled and finely chopped
1 red chilli, sliced
1kg sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
400g coconut milk
5g soy sauce
For the meatball glaze:120ml maple syrup
120ml soy sauce (or tamari)
40ml rice wine vinegar
2 tsp sesame seeds
- To make the meatballs, mix all of the ingredients together, and shape into meatballs the size of table tennis balls (about 20g each). Place on a baking tray and cook in the oven at 180C/350F/Gas 4 for 10 minutes. Leave to rest.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan over a low heat. Add the onion, garlic, turmeric, chilli and ginger and gently sweat for 10 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the sweet potato, stir well, cover the pan and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- When the sweet potato is starting to soften, add the coconut milk and water, stir well and leave to simmer for 20 minutes, until the potato is tender. Remove from the heat and season with the soy sauce, then leave to one side whilst you glaze the meatballs.
- Place all of the glaze ingredients (except for the sesame) in a pan that’s big enough to hold all of the meatballs and place over a medium heat. Heat until the sauce is bubbling and has reduced by one-third, then add the meatballs and cook for a few minutes, stirring regularly until the meatballs are nicely coated with the glaze. Add the sesame and mix well.
- Serve the meatballs and curry with steamed rice and a scattering of pomegranate seeds.