Ready in: 30 to 60 mins
Know your nutrients
Powered by Nutracheck
You may not have considered using jackfruit on a kebab but it works surprisingly well. Give these a try for your next barbecue.
Ingredients:4 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, finely diced
2 tins Cooks&co young green jackfruit in brine, drained
For the spice mix:2 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp smoked paprika
½ tsp chilli power
1 tbsp dry oregano
1 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp vegetarian or vegan-friendly Worcester sauce
4 tbsp soy sauce
juice of 1 lemon
1 small cucumber, sliced
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 small onion, super finely sliced
red cabbage, finally sliced and dressed in lemon juice
tzatziki (omit if vegan, or replace with vegan yoghurt)
- Heat the olive oil in a medium, heavy-bottomed, pan. Fry the diced onion until softened, translucent, and lightly caramelised. Add the chopped garlic and fry off gently until soft and fragrant.
- Drain both jackfruit tins, add to the onions in the pan and mix to coat the jackfruit. Add most of the spice mix, and fry them off gently, stirring the whole time, for a minute or so.
- Add the sugar, tomato paste, Worcester sauce, and soy sauce. Mix everything really well, then add water and scrape up any bits that might have stuck to the pan. Squash the jackfruit pieces with your spoon/spatula (I use a strainer) so that the individual fibres separate more.
- Simmer the mixture gently for another 10-15 minutes. When most of the liquid had evaporated and your jackfruit is sticky, finish with the juice from the lemon and remove from the heat. At this point, you can refrigerate the mixture to allow the flavours to intensify overnight. If you can’t wait (and I don’t blame you!), you can move on to the next step.
- Just before you are ready to assemble your kebabs, preheat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Spread the jackfruit pieces on a baking paper-lined baking tray and bake for about 20-25 minutes, until a little caramelised and browned around the edges. Assemble the kebabs and enjoy!