Creamy Tuscan Cannellini Bean Pasta with Tenderstem Broccoli
Ready in: 15 to 30 mins
This vegan pasta dish is a great store cupboard supper, using mashed cannellini beans to create a creamy sauce to coat the delicious pasta. Topped with walnuts, chilli flakes and Tenderstem broccoli, it makes for a lovely vegan dinner.
Ingredients:4 tbsp olive oil
40g walnuts, chopped
1 tbsp chilli flakes (optional)
200g Tenderstem® broccoli
1 small white onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
220g mezzi rigatoni, tortiglioni or penne
1 tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
a few sprigs of rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
juice and finely grated zest of 1 lemon
salt & pepper, to taste
a small handful of parsley, chopped
- Add two tablespoons of oil to a large frying pan and add the chopped walnuts and chilli flakes (if using). Cook for five minutes until the walnuts start to go golden.
- Add the broccoli to the pan and cook for a further 4-5 minutes, until cooked. Remove everything from the pan, place in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining two tablespoons of oil to the pan with the chopped onion and cook for 5-7 minutes, until the onion starts to caramelise. Add in the crushed garlic and cook for another minute.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
- Add the cannellini beans and the chopped rosemary to the pan containing the onion and garlic, and cook for few minutes. Remove a cup of the cooking water from the pasta pot and add it to the beans. Add the lemon juice and zest.
- With a potato masher, break down the beans until you have a creamy sauce. Season with salt & pepper, to taste. Save a cup of the starchy water from the pasta before draining it. Add the cooked pasta to the pan containing your sauce, add the cup of pasta water, stir and cook for another couple of minutes until the sauce thickens up.
- Serve with the broccoli and walnuts arranged on top and finish with a sprinkle of parsley.