Ready in: 30 to 60 mins
Know your nutrients
Powered by Nutracheck
These melt-in-the-mouth cheese scones make a perfect addition to a homemade soup or stew. Alternatively, they're great on their own, with a slather of butter for a quick savoury treat. They're perfect for picnics, too! Recipe courtesy of National Trust. Image: William Shaw
Ingredients:450g self-raising flour
100g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cracked black pepper
1 free-range egg
1 tsp English mustard
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Place the flour and margarine in a mixing bowl and rub together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in most of the cheese (leaving enough to place grated cheese on top of the scones later), salt and pepper.
- Mix the egg with three-quarters of the milk and the mustard. Pour into the mix and use a spoon to combine the wet and dry ingredients. Keep adding the remaining milk a little at a time until the mixture comes together and forms a dough.
- Divide into two even-sized pieces and gently roll into large balls on a lightly floured surface. Flatten them lightly and cut into four by slicing both ways across the middle. place on your lined baking tray.
- Divide the remaining cheese and place on top of the scone, then place into the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes, or until risen and golden.