Broccoli Katsu Curry
Ready in: 60 mins +
“This is weirdly simple. It sounds and looks like it might be time-consuming or complicated, but once you've tried this recipe you'll see just how easy it is. I adore roasted broccoli and it works so well in this curry. The more veg the better, and you're certainly getting your fill with this dish. The sauce will make your taste buds dance and you'll feel full, yet not sluggish in the slightest, after devouring this incredible dinner.” Fearne Cotton - Happy Vegan (Orion Spring, £20)
Ingredients:3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, cut into 1cm pieces
3 garlic cloves, crushed
3cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 tbsp mild curry powder
1 tsp garam masala
½ tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp white spelt flour
400ml vegetable stock
2 tbsp soy sauce
350g Tenderstem broccoli
100g fresh breadcrumbs
3 spring onions, finely chopped
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
brown rice, to serve
- Put half the oil into a pan and place over a medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, garlic and ginger and cook gently for eight minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent, taking care not to let anything burn.
- Add the curry powder, garam masala, turmeric and flour and stir-fry for another two minutes, until fragrant. Gradually stir in the stock and soy sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened and the carrots are cooked through.
- Using a handheld or upright blender, blitz the sauce until completely smooth, adding in a little water if it is too thick. Season well, to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Line a baking tray with foil or baking paper.
- Toss the broccoli in the remaining oil to coat, and season well. Roll in the breadcrumbs until evenly coated, transfer to the lined baking tray and roast for 10-15 minutes until golden and the broccoli is cooked through.
- Divide the sauce between your plates and top with the katsu broccoli. Scatter the spring onions on top and serve with rice.