BOSH’s Ultimate Vegan Mac & Cheese
Ready in: 30 to 60 mins
Know your nutrients
Powered by Nutracheck
There’s something about creamy, cheesy pasta that just works. Mac & cheese is perhaps the perfect example of this, and that’s why it’s become a vegan street food classic all over the world. This speedy version is exceptionally creamy, incredibly cheesy and wonderfully crunchy. Coupled with a fresh salad, it’s the stuff of dreams. Choose a vegan cheese you like the taste of and stick with it, then you know it’ll taste good. Recipe extracted from Speedy BOSH! by Henry Firth & Ian Theasby (HQ, HarperCollins). Photography by: Lizzie Mayson
750ml unsweetened plant-based milk
50g cashew nuts
40ml olive oil
1 garlic clove
100g dairy-free cheese
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tsp Dijon mustard
50g fresh breadcrumbs
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and black pepper
- First, cook the macaroni by bringing a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the macaroni and cook for one minute less than stated on the packet instructions, then drain.
- Meanwhile, make the nut milk mixture. Put the almond milk and cashews into a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Allow to cool, then transfer the mixture to a power blender and blitz until smooth.
- Now make the sauce. Put the frying pan over a medium heat and add the olive oil. Peel the garlic and grate it straight into the pan. Cook for a couple of minutes until just starting to brown, then add the flour to the pan and whisk until it combines with the garlicky oil to make a paste. Cook for one minute, reduce the heat to low, then slowly pour in a little of the nut milk mixture, and whisk until completely combined. Keep adding more, little by little, whisking until all of the nut milk is incorporated. Cook for two minutes, then grate the vegan cheese, before adding it in along with the nutritional yeast and mustard. Stir to mix, adding a splash more almond milk if the mixture is too thick. Taste and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Drain the cooked macaroni. Take the pan of sauce off the heat and tip in the drained pasta. Stir to coat the pasta in the sauce.
- Next, make the topping by placing the breadcrumbs, olive oil and a big pinch of salt and pepper into a bowl. Stir to mix, then scatter the crumbs over the pasta.
- To finish, place the pan under the grill and cook for 2–3 minutes, keeping a close eye on it, until the topping is crispy, then serve.