When the summer sun in shining and temperature rises, it can be easy to reach for sugar-laden drinks to help quench your thirst. But carbonated drinks and even shop-bought smoothies and juices can be packed with sugar, and won’t actually do anything to help you stay hydrated. So when you’re feeling the heat and in need of something cool and refreshing, sip on these healthy alternatives instead.
Cruelty Free Beauty
- Zero Waste Beauty: Adopt a green routine with these sustainable products
- This eco-friendly beauty box is packed with refillable multi-taskers
- “I find myself using it even when I don’t need to!”
- Arctic-inspired natural skincare brand launches in the UK
- Green People launches beauty balm packaged in 100% biodegradable pot
- Lush launches same-day delivery service for its iconic handmade cosmetics
- “This cruelty-free tanning water gave me the confidence boost I needed”
- rho launches sustainable loungewear that gives back
- Rose & Caramel Raises Awareness For Women’s Self-Esteem & Mental Health With ‘I TAN FOR ME’ Campaign
- Couple launches entirely plant-based and refillable deodorant on Kickstarter
- Raising Vegetarian Children
- View all
- Vegan beauty buys for top-to-toe care
- Why you should consider a cruelty free lifestyle
- The best roasted vegetable lasagne recipes
- Celebrate Veganuary with these plant-based treats
- Feel-good nutrition for a plant-based diet
- Period pain: How to relieve menstrual cramps the natural way
- 5 vegan supplements for a plant-based diet
- Healthy Vegan Snacks
- Sweet potato recipes the whole family will love
- 17 easy vegan recipes for every occasion
- 14 food and drink launches for Veganuary 2021
- View all
- Golden Tofu Singapore Noodles
- Peanut Butter Blondie Cookie Bars
- Vegan No-Bake Mango Cheesecake
- Miso mushrooms on toast
- Oumph! Balls & Tomato Sauce Pasta
- Spicy Peanut Butter Burger
- Like Schnitzel Noodle Bowl
- Vegan pancakes with rapsberry coulis
- Thick fluffy chocolate protein pancakes
- No-bake Blueberry Cheesecake
- Vegan roasted vegetable lasagne
- View all
- Spinach and ricotta quiche vegetarian recipe
- Cheats mushroom and spinach lasagne vegetarian recipe
- Lentil bolognese vegetarian recipe
- Creamy mushroom stroganoff vegetarian recipe
- Malaysian Rendang curry vegetarian recipe
- Feta, Butternut Squash, Caramelised Onion and Cashew Nut Wellingtons
- Nature lovers needed to help The Wildlife Trust restore 30% of nature by 2030
- Love Food Give Food campaign calls on UK foodies
- How you can help with the Amazon wildfires
- Independent bakery to serve up vegan doughnuts in Notts
- The UK’s Largest Plant-Based Kitchen Launches Chicken Katsu Fakeaway
- Sustainable beauty brand launches refillable hand sanitiser dispenser
- Plastic-free coffee capsules added to Milk & More delivery service
- Charity provides free meals to children and families with surplus food
- New vegan products we’re excited about this spring
- Wagamama reopens with innovative social distancing measures
- Oatly is Giving Away Free Tea and Coffee Across the UK
- View all
7 healthy drinks to keep you refreshed this summer
Ditch the sugar-laden sodas and smoothies in favour of these healthy alternatives
This spiced tomato juice may be designed as the base for the perfect Bloody Mary – and we can vouch for it – but we've also heard rumours of people drinking it as is every morning. Yes, it's that good. Big Tom's Spiced Tomato Mix is a robust blend of over 20 vegan-friendly ingredients that combine to create a rich, earthy and rather invigorating beverage. It's smooth with subtle spices, and will certainly keep you refreshed on those long, warm summer days. And if you do feel like turning it into a Bloody Mary, all you need to do is add a generous splash of vodka and a celery stick to garnish.
It's true that many shop-bought smoothies get a bad rap, but not all of them are unhealthy. ColdPress's HPP smoothies are fortified with vitamins B, C, D and E and contain only naturally occuring fruit sugar, making them a nutrient-rich option. Using the HPP method is also a great alternative to the nutrient-sapping heat treatments commonly used, which means all of the good stuff is kept intact. Available in Mango Passion Fruit, Strawberry Banana and Pineapple Banana Coconut.
If you're not a fan of smoothies and iced tea, this new plant-based 'milk' drink feels a bit more indulgent. Bright Barley was launched during the lockdown, and is a great option when you're on-the-go, whether you're out for a picnic or just need a boost while doing the gardening. Made with organic barley, it utilises the ancient grain, which is billed as a superfood, making it a great source of fibre. It's also packed with vitamins, is high in calcium, low in fat, and comes in an FSC-certified, recyclable tetra pak carton. Available in coffee, chocolate and salted caramel.
The ideal pocket drink, these 100% natural and vegan shots are the perfect pick-me-up. The four varieties – organic ginger, extra hot ginger, turmeric and lime & chilli – really live up to the brand's name, providing plenty of zing in each sip. The intense flavour will keep you going throughout the day and contains nothing but simple, high-quality ingredients, with no added preservatives or artificial colours. Beware of the lime & chilli though: it really packs a punch!
Why not enjoy a chilled option that's as healthy as it is refreshing? Biotiful Dairy has launched two new flavoured kefir beverages. Good for your gut, the cultured dairy drinks are packed with billions of gut-friendly bacteria as well as vitamins and minerals. Available in Blackcurrant and Mango, they contain authentic live kefir grains and real fruit. With no added sugar, they're naturally high in protein and calcium, and are a good source of vitamin B12, which contributes to the normal functioning of the immune system.
If you love iced tea, Lipton's new Cold Brew range is a great eco-friendly option. Made from sustainably sourced green tea, fruit and herbal ingredients, it adds an injection of flavour to water, and is wonderfully refreshing. A great alternative to shop-bought iced teas, it contains no added sugar or artificial flavours, and comes packaged in biodegradable teabags and plant-based packaging. Available in Peach, Strawberry and Mango.
A great option for the little ones on those hot summer days, Small & Wild's herbal teas keep kids' tastebuds in mind. The ideal alternative to squash, packaged juices and fizzy drinks, they're made from herbs, flowers and fruits, are free from additives and are low in sugar. Each variety – including the Merry Tiger Tea with Pear, Mango and Raspberry, and the Jolly Croc with Banana, Strawberry and Apple – works well as an iced tea, and can easily be stored in the fridge to keep on hand when the kids need to refresh. Better yet, the tea comes in bio-degradable tea bags.